Casa de la Luz Foundation provides funds to support individuals and their loved ones through the end of life process by partnering on the We Honor Veterans program and community Bereavement services.
Hospice staff offer a special ceremony in honor of veterans which includes the gathering of friends and family for a presentation of a formal certificate and keepsake blanket, and might include playing the official song of the veteran’s branch of service. These ceremonies often bring high emotion for all included and profound responses from the recipients being honored.
Community bereavement books and journals are given free of charge to members of the public who are grieving the loss of a loved one and are participating in support groups, meetings, and classes. The Foundation believes this program is vital because of the many services it provides to help families and friends cope with the loss of a loved one.
We Honor Veterans
Casa de la Luz Hospice is proud to be a Level IV partner in the national We Honor Veterans program. The program is committed to ensuring the best end-of-life care possible for military veterans and their loved ones, and is a collaboration between the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and the Department of Veterans Affairs.
In our commitment to providing superior care to patients and their loved ones and to supporting the We Honor Veterans program, Casa has:
- Increased employee and volunteer education about patients who are military veterans.
- Joined the Tucson Hospice-Veterans Partnership group, an organization comprised of the Southern Arizona VA and other community hospices.
- Strengthened our relationship with the Southern Arizona VA.
- Developed relationships with community veteran organizations.
- Established a We Honor Veterans volunteer training program, providing additional education for volunteers interested in companioning and supporting our veteran patients.
- Casa de la Luz also honors every veteran on our service with a special appreciation ceremony. The patient’s team members present a framed certificate and a token of our appreciation to the veteran, offering individuals one last thank you during the final stage of life.
The We Honor Veterans program is our opportunity to honor the men and women who served our country. To learn more about the national We Honor Veterans program, visit their national website.
Arizona End of Life Care Partnership
Casa de la Luz Foundation is a proud member of the End of Life Care Partnership (EOLCP).
By supporting and partnering with community organizations assisting those with end-of-life issues (such as Pima Council on Aging, Interfaith Community Services and the United Way), we extend our reach to those who need it most.
The EOLCP’s mission is to enhance the way we live by fundamentally changing the way we talk about death. Our community partners provide support, services, and education to help you talk about what’s important to you so that you can live well and end well.
Please visit their website to learn more: website here.
This note of thanks was sent to Casa de la Luz Foundation after the Foundation provided a towel warmer for a hospice patient. This thank you is long overdue! But Dad said he was going to write it, but, sadly, I feel he’s no longer able to accomplish such a feat. The towel warmer has been…Read More
Dear Sir or Madam, Enclosed is a check for the Foundation. I read one of your goals was education of the community. If possible I would like my donation to be directed to the education of oncologists about the services of hospice so referral is made sooner than later. Not only does the patient need…Read More
Art Courtesy of Bettina Mills - talented artist and longtime friend of Casa de la Luz. We are inspired by her talent and generosity and greatly appreciate that she shares her gifts with us. All artwork Copyright Reserved by Bettina Mills.